What you need to get started…
In order to create a successful podcast here is a list of essential items that you are going to need in order to get started…
- A project breakdown of your podcast. What is it about? Who is it for? Is it for entertainment or education?
- Line up talent or individuals you wish to interview
- Decide where you are going to do the recording. Is it going to be recorded in a studio or a live broadcast?
- How often will you record a new episode? Daily, monthly, weekly?
- A script with a clear beginning, middle and end
- Gather the essential equipment needed
Note: Not all of these are essential.
- Microphone (essential)
- Record Mixer
- Recording Device (Digital sound recorder, computer, etc) (essential)
- Computer (Mac or PC) (essential)
- Internet Access (essential)
- Script (essential)
- Headphones (essential)
- Sound editing software (i.e. Audacity, Pro Tools etc) (essential)
- Pop Filter for your microphone?
Here is a good article from Peachpit.com about equipment you can use/buy for podcasting which gives you a rough indication of what is out there: http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=413667&seqNum=3
- Recording space
- Your equipment
- Anyone you are planning to interview
- Clear direction and purpose
- Allow for setbacks
Post Production Essentials
- Audio editing software
- Internet access
- Understanding of audio compress, size and outputting your audio
What you need online:
- Web hosting or a pocasting hub such as PodcastAlley.com with enough web space for uploading audio
- RSS Feed
- Web-presence (website, blog, forum etc)
- A way for your users to access the podcast and to know that the podcast exists