What is WordPress.com?
WordPress.com is a free, open-source version of WordPress which allows you to create your very own blogging website for free.
Click on the below to go to the tutorial:
- Getting Started
- The Dashboard 101
- Making a Post
Pro’s and Con’s
Here is what WordPress.com has to say about it’s pro’s and cons in comparison to it’s sister site WordPress.org, which requires you to pay for your WordPress blog to be hosted by an external service provider such as Blue Host.
- It’s free and much easier to setup
- Everything is taken care of: setup, upgrades, spam, backups, security, etc
- Your blog is on hundreds of servers, so it’s highly unlikely it will go down due to traffic
- Your posts are backed up automatically
- You get extra traffic from blogs of the day and tags
- You can find like-minded bloggers using tag and friend surfer
- Your login is secure (SSL) so no one can get into your account if you use wifi
- We provide 70+ themes (and adding more every day) which you can modify and edit the CSS, but you cannot run a custom theme*
- You can’t hack the PHP code behind your blog*
- You can’t upload plugins
(Reference > WordPress.com)